Candles have long held a special place in our lives, serving as beacons of tranquillity and relaxation. They create a warm, soothing ambiance that can instantly uplift your mood: their soft, flickering glow creates a warm and inviting atmosphere, instantly transforming any space into a sanctuary of calm. In recent years, the DIY trend has gained immense popularity, and what better way to jump on the bandwagon than by making your very own Homemade DIY matcha candle? Not only will you be able to personalise your candle to your liking, but you'll also be reusing an empty matcha tin, adding an eco-friendly touch to your DIY project.
The concept of a matcha candle brings together two elements that evoke a sense of serenity and well-being. Matcha, the vibrant green powdered tea renowned for its health benefits and Zen associations, adds a delightful twist to the traditional candle-making process.
By reusing an empty matcha tin, you'll not only infuse your space with a soothing fragrance but also play a part in sustainable practices by giving new life to a cherished item. In a world that often feels fast-paced and chaotic, taking the time to engage in mindful activities like candle-making can be a source of comfort and fulfilment. By immersing yourself in the process of creating your own matcha candle, you'll embark on a creative journey that allows you to express your individuality and embrace the therapeutic nature of crafting.
Moreover, the environmental consciousness associated with reusing and repurposing items cannot be overstated. By upcycling an empty matcha tin, you contribute to reducing waste and adopting a sustainable mindset. This small yet significant step towards eco-friendly practices aligns with the growing global movement to protect our planet and make mindful choices in our everyday lives.
So, if you're ready to immerse yourself in a fulfilling DIY project that combines the therapeutic art of candle-making with the rejuvenating properties of matcha, join us as we guide you through the process of creating your very own Homemade DIY matcha candle.
Get ready to infuse your space with tranquillity, embrace your creative spirit, and bask in the soothing glow of a candle that's both unique and eco-friendly.
Materials and Tools
Before we dive into the creative process, let's gather the necessary materials and tools to make our matcha candle. Here's what you'll need to make two candles:
- 2 empty Emerald matcha tins
- about 250g Candle wax (preferably soy)
- The Zen Tea Co. 15- Yame Matcha powder - about 6-8g (culinary grade)
- 2 tbs Coconut oil
- 15-20 drops Fragrance oil (optional)
- Candle wick
- Wick sustainer or pencil
- Heatproof container
- Adhesive dots
Preparing the Matcha Tin
Start by giving your empty matcha tin a thorough clean. Remove any residue to create a clean canvas for your homemade candle. Proper preparation is essential to ensure the best results for your DIY matcha candle.
The key ingredients for your matcha candle are the candle wax, matcha powder, and fragrance oil (if desired, in this case we used some cherry blossom essential oil – Sakura). Candle soy wax provides the base for your candle, while matcha powder adds a beautiful green hue and a subtle earthy scent.
Fragrance oil can be added for a delightful aromatic experience, but it's entirely optional. Explore different scents and find the perfect combination for your personal sanctuary.
Making the Matcha Candle
Now it's time to bring your Homemade DIY matcha candle to life. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
1. Melting the Wax:
- Use a heatproof container placed in a pan of boiling water.
- Add the candle wax to the top container and allow it to melt gently.
- In the meantime prepare some coconut oil and matcha paste by sifting The Zen Tea Co Matcha in the coconut oil and mix well until no lumps remaining.
- If using fragrance oil, add a few drops and stir well to distribute the scent evenly.
2. Adding the Matcha paste:
- Once the wax is melted, remove it from the heat source.
- Gradually pour some matcha paste while stirring gently. Adjust the amount according to your desired shade.
3. Pouring the Melted Wax into the Matcha Tin:
- Secure the wick sustainer or wrap the end of the wick around a pencil, suspending it in the centre of the matcha tin.
- Carefully pour the melted wax into the tin, ensuring that the wick remains centred.
4. Inserting the Wick and Ensuring it Stays Centred:
- Allow the wax to cool slightly but not solidify completely.
- Gently adjust the position of the wick to keep it centred as the wax solidifies.
5. Allowing the Candle to Cool and Solidify:
- Find a cool, undisturbed area to let your matcha candle cool and solidify completely.
- Patience is key here, as rushing the process may result in an uneven burn.
- Wait until it cooled down almost completely and add some dried flowers or decorations of your choice.
Safety Tips While creating your Homemade DIY matcha candle
- While creating your Homemade DIY matcha candle, it's crucial to prioritise safety. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Work in a well-ventilated area to minimize the inhalation of fumes.
- Keep flammable materials away from the candle-making area.
- Use a heatproof surface or a dedicated candle-making workspace.
- Never leave the melting wax unattended.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for candle-making supplies.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case.
- Take precautions while handling hot wax to avoid burns.
Finishing Touches and Decorative Ideas
Now that you've successfully created your matcha candle, it's time to add some finishing touches and unleash your creativity. Consider the following decorative ideas:
1. Ribbon: Tie a beautiful ribbon around the matcha tin to add a touch of elegance and charm.
2. Natural Elements: Enhance the aesthetic appeal by adding dried flowers, herbs, or small decorative items that complement the matcha green colour.
3. Gift Wrapping: If you're planning to give your matcha candle as a gift, wrap it in a stylish gift box or a reusable fabric bag. Add a handwritten note to make it extra special.
Creating your own Homemade DIY matcha candle offers several advantages:
1. Personalisation: You have full control over the ingredients, scents, and decorative elements, allowing you to create a candle that perfectly aligns with your preferences and style.
2. Reusing and Sustainability: By reusing an empty matcha tin, you're actively participating in sustainable practices, reducing waste, and giving new life to an otherwise discarded item.
3. Cost-effectiveness: Making your own candles can be more economical compared to purchasing high-quality candles from stores. Plus, you can make multiple candles with the same batch of supplies.
4. Relaxation and Well-being: The process of candle-making itself can be therapeutic and calming. Lighting your homemade matcha candle creates a soothing ambiance and promotes a sense of tranquillity.
Congratulations on creating your very own Homemade DIY matcha candle! By following the step-by-step instructions and reusing an empty matcha tin, you've not only embarked on a fulfilling DIY project but also contributed to sustainable practices. Enjoy the calming glow and gentle scent of your homemade matcha candle, and don't forget to share your creation with others. Encourage them to explore the world of candle-making and experience the joy of reusing and relaxation.
Don't forget to get your matcha from The Zen Tea Co. matcha shop: