Easy Green Tea Matcha Madeleines Recipe
Madeleines are the classic delicate and soft French mini sponge cakes, appreciated all over the world! In this delightful recipe we add an exotic green tea matcha flavour. Are you ready to invite your friends over for a tea party?
Madeleines should have a crispy shell exterior and a moist, soft interior and here we are sharing all out tips to make some perfectly delicious matcha madeleines!
The Right Matcha Powder
For this baking recipe we chose The Zen Tea 15 - Yame Matcha, which is probably the best matcha choice for a premium culinary use. Contrary to other culinary matcha teas that you may find out there, which are usually made of 3rd harvest leaves or a mix of multiple origin Autumn harvest powders, our 15 - Yame matcha it's made from 2nd harvest tea leaves, single origin from Yame. This matcha is carefully crafted to accentuate a balanced rich-robust matcha flavour in baking recipes, and its authentic green colour won't disappoint. You can find 15 - Yame Matcha on our website here. Also, make sure you sift matcha powder as it tends to make clumps.
Prepare the right pan in the right way: we prefer using the metal pan as metal conducts the heat better, but you can also use the silicon pan. Greasing the madeleine pan is so important: use soften or melted butter and don't be shy! Not only it will help you with removing the madeleines after baking but it will also give them that golden colour to the shell. Use a pastry brush to grease the pan with softened or melted butter.
How to fill madeleine pans: you can use a piping bag or a small cookie scoop or simply use two spoons to dollop in the batter. Make sure you fill the madeleine pans about 3/4 with the batter.
Allow the batter to rest: do not rush and allow the batter to rest for at least 3 hours or overnight in the fridge. This process gives the flour time to absorb the liquids in the batter and thickens the batter. Also, resting the batter gives the madeleines their signature little hump during baking.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 12 min + CHILL TIME: 3 hrs
COOL TIME: 30 mins
SERVINGS: 12 matcha madeleines
INGREDIENTS for 12 Matcha Madeleines:
- 5g TheZenTea 15 – Yame Matcha
- 150g unsalted butter
- 135g caster sugar
- 15g honey
- 150g whole eggs
- 106g plain flour
- 9g almond powder
- 5g milk powder
- 2g baking powder
1. In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to mix together the eggs at room temperature, lightly warm honey, and sugar. Stir until all sugar dissolves and keep mixture at around 35°C
2. Gradually sift in the plain flour, almond powder, milk powder, The Zen Tea co. 15 Yame Matcha, and baking powder, making sure there are no lumps. Let it rest in the fridge for at least 3 hours
3. Pre-heat oven to 180°C
4. Warm the unsalted butter to 35°C, gently pour into the madeleine mix, stirring constantly. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag.
5. Butter up the madeleine tins. Fill about over half in each hole. Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins until madeleines are golden brown and well puffed. Remove from the tins to the cooling rack immediately.
6. Serve Matcha Madeleines while still warm.
7. Don't forget to take a picture and tag us on Instagram @thezentea
Matcha Madeleines are best served the same day they are baked
Leave a comment and let us know how you enjoy your matcha madeleines, we would love to know!